Thursday, July 22, 2004

Blogger vs. Yahoo

One of the complaints I've been hearing a lot about on the forums regarding Firefox is the inability to compose messages in Yahoo Mail, Hotmail, etc. in "Rich Text Mode" (HTML).

Yahoo and Hotmail do it via ActiveX, among other things, which basically limits the usage to IE users. If they switch to using JavaScript, instead, like Blogger does, then more browsers would be able to use it.

Not that I would personally like to see more HTML-formatted email messages. But it's simply ignorant to say that Firefox/Mozilla is lacking in the abilities department as far as HTML composing in a web form is concerned.

For instance, this message (and all messages on my blog thus far) is being composed in Firefox. And I'm not having any problems with the "Rich Text Formatting" at all...

My user agent string:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040707 Firefox/0.9.2

I'll probably have to come back and edit the colors and such, as it might not appear legible in the dark background color I've got for my blog.

The composition of this particular entry is being recorded, and should be available here (in a bit).

0 comments: