Thursday, October 20, 2005

More Mr. Clean products

A while ago I bought the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Wheel & Tire, but haven't tried it until last night. Which means there's been several months of brake dust buildup on my rims.

The same type of sponge has been available in Asia for some time, I remember watching a news report of some people who tried to use it to clean their faces, and it made their faces swell up.

Anyway, the "Wheel & Tire" version of the Magic Eraser comes in a pack of four, and what you're supposed to do is to wet it, squeeze out excess water, wipe, rinse, and repeat, until you have a clean rim. The sponges are reusable to a certain extent, and then you throw them away. Since they didn't cost much, I wouldn't mind too much if they cannot be reused very much.

It worked quite well on my rims, and quite easily picked up the brake dust and dirt, leaving behind my shiny alloy wheels. However, with the amount of dirt that had accumulated on my rims, I've had to use up three of the four sponges to clean all four of my rims. So there's not much in the reusability department from my initial use. Perhaps if I cleaned my tires more regularly, they would have lasted through more cleaning sessions.

Of course, I still got plenty of brake dust on my hands, but not nearly as much as I used to when I cleaned my rims, and it's a much easier effort this time. So overall, it works as advertised.


Good thing I don't have chrome wheels, 'cause I think it would scratch up the chrome finish.

0 comments: