Sunday, June 18, 2006

More movies

I picked up some older DVDs--Stay, Wicked, and Wicker Park. I actually wanted to see Stay when it was in the theaters, but didn't, and didn't pick up the DVD when it was released because I remember reading bad reviews about it.

Having watched it, I've just reaffirmed my belief that I should take what the critics say with a grain of salt. Without spoiling it, I'll just say that it's another one of those movies, though they purposely include many things throughout the movie, so if you haven't guessed at the ending, then it's probably your first experience with "one of those movies."

Wicked is Julia Stiles' first leading role, not to be confused with the recent Broadway musical. I decided to pick that up instead of Save the Last Dance. Seemed more like my kind of movie.

Wicker Park is one of those movies that is half told through character flashbacks, from the vantage points of different characters, retelling related events, like 11:14 or Snatch... but not as many different characters. I think the official trailer for the movie gave too much of the plot away, and kind of spoils the fun. Little tidbit--Rose Byrne and Diane Kruger co-starred in this film with Josh Hartnett, and were both in the movie Troy with Brad Pitt.

0 comments: