Monday, May 15, 2006

Teriyaki chicken... Flavorwave revisited

I haven't been using the Flavorwave oven for a while, and last week decided to use it for some of the things I typically only make when I barbecue. I guess it started when I had a craving for corn-on-the-cob. I know that these days, my mom usually uses the microwave when she wants corn-on-the-cob, but I wanted something more similar to the barbecue taste. I wrapped the corn in tin foil, with some butter and ground black peppers. It turned out pretty well, so I wanted to try the same with teriyaki chicken.

This is after one side had been sitting in the convection oven for about 9 minutes, at 400°F. I simply placed two pieces of skinless, boneless chicken thighs inside the oven, and brushed on some thick teriyaki sauce, mixed with a little bit of pepper sauce.

After ten minutes (the Flavorwave has a built-in timer), I turned the chicken over.

Next, slather this side of the chicken with the same sauce. Set for another 10 minutes. It probably doesn't need to be this long, as supposedly the convection method of this oven cooks the meat more evenly and faster than a traditional oven, but this added time caramelizes the teriyaki sauce quite well, for a much better taste.

Ten minutes later--the chicken looks nice and golden brown. I should see if they sell boneless chicken thighs with skin, since I don't have to worry about undercooking or over-charring the skin, it should be even better.

Chop chicken thighs with a meat cleaver (just like they do at Yoshinoya and Spike's), and it's ready to serve.

0 comments: