Saturday, December 17, 2005

A Western tradition with a Chinese twist

I have finally taken the artificial Christmas tree that I bought two years ago out of storage and set it up in the living room. I also went to Target to buy some hooks, on which to hang my Christmas wreath.

But it's not your typical wreath by any stretch of the imagination. Instead, it's one made with Chinese knots.
When my grandmother came to visit during the summer, she brought along a few of these "wreaths" that she had made. There were two designs, the other one was much prettier and more "wreath-like," as it had large leaves made of Chinese knots, making it look much fuller than the one I got. I picked this one because it still looks good (just not as good as the other), and my relatives in Canada (to whom the remaining wreath will go) deserved to see how good the other one looks.

And of course, I'm too lazy to decorate the tree... plus I'll be the only one here during Christmas, so there doesn't seem to be much point in decorating it. And I think it's festive enough as it is.

0 comments: