Saturday, November 12, 2005

DiMAGE X50

As I expected, my camera arrived today, because the post office doesn't deliver on Veteran's Day (yesterday), while DHL dropped off the camera at the post office on Thursday. I asked Rosemary to call me if they receive a package for me at the office, so I could go and pick it up.



A quick size-comparison shows that the camera is just a tad bigger than a credit card. It's also a bit bigger than my brother's PowerShot SD300, but it's good enough for my purposes.


The design of the camera feels a bit spartan to me, but they're easy enough to figure out. I applied the screen protector I got for me PDA, and cut off the excess with an Xacto knife.


Quite obviously, this is the most compact camera I've ever owned. Forgoing optical zoom capabilities in favor of portability might come back to haunt me in the future, but for now, it seems a fair trade-off. It is, at least, also capable of capturing photos at a much higher resolution, but I'll still need my old Panasonic (12x optical zoom) if I want to take telephoto shots of subjects from far away with a reasonable resolution.

0 comments: