Wednesday, July 06, 2005

New monitor

I'm finally taking the plunge (years after the technology curve) by getting myself a flat-panel, LCD monitor, and retiring my old 19" CRT monitor, the Samsung SyncMaster 955SL.

For years, I've held off on getting myself an LCD screen for two very basic reasons:
  1. Lower screen resolution.
  2. High price.
The impetus behind my decision? I've noticed my current monitor is starting to show signs of degradation. It's been gradually shifting its display colors between normal, to a hint of blue, and back again. I checked the cable, and it is very firmly attached.

This can only mean one thing: Sometime in the near foreseeable future, this monitor will go into a state of permanently displaying things in a tinted hue.

This is definitely not something I want to live through again.


So, after checking the current prices of LCD monitors, it seems they have finally come down to a range which I find acceptable, and while the resolution is still not as high as I can hope for (a max size of 1280x1024), it's a compromise I'm willing to live with. Afterall, it wasn't that long ago that I switched my screen resolution to 1600x1200.


The new screen I ordered is the AG Neovo F-419; as an 19" LCD, it means the viewable screen size should be significantly larger than what I currently have. It was the only 19" LCD in the ~$300 price range that has 170° viewing angle, and a high contrast ratio (700:1). So I figured since I have a $25 rebate from Amazon.com, I might as well use it towards this.

0 comments: