Friday, July 29, 2005

Bad UPS

Nope, not the United Parcel Service. My Uninterruptible Power Supply, otherwise known as "a large frickin' battery," the Cyberpower 900AVR, has stopped working properly. I noticed that during our last power-out, it did not keep any that it was supposed to protect on. For the past two days, I've tested with various methods of trying to get the battery (or rather, batteries, since the 900AVR supposedly uses two batteries instead of one) to charge, to no avail.

The strange thing is that none of the indicator lights shows anything is amiss, making me wonder if the batteries are dead, or if somehow the circuitry has fried. For this reason, I am loath to purchase replacement batteries for this UPS model, because I simply don't know if that would fix the problem or not.

So I went online to try and find a suitable replacement UPS, and found some nice refurb ones for cheap at Tech for Less. Shortly after I placed my order, I received my second email from them (the first was an automated "order received" message), informing me that the item(s) I ordered were "International versions," which would not work in the U.S. due to different power regulations. They said that they have to hold off shipping the order until they can confirm with me that I know this fact--which I had missed when I placed my order. So I had to cancel my order, and they were very prompt in their correspondance with me. I will happily order from them in the future if they happen to carry something that I'd like to buy.

I ended up going to Fry's for a new UPS.

0 comments: