Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Heroes

I've been watching NBC's new sci-fi/drama series, Heroes, through Internet downloads--mainly because I was watching Fox's Vanished on TV, which airs in the same timeslot, with a lead-in from Prison Break. I also felt, prior to the show's premiere, that it might have been too hyped up, and I'd be disappointed by it.

Since I'd heard some good things about it after the pilot aired, and the fact that Ali Larter is in it, I decided to download it and see if I'd like it.

The show is interesting, kind of an X-Men meets Unbreakable kind of story. It is very much like a comic book, or perhaps more akin to a graphic novel, I could almost see the narration text and word bubbles as I watched it. It deals with a group of people, scattered around the world (but mostly in the U.S.) who find themselves with abilities beyond that or normal humans, perhaps making them a step-up from the evolutionary ladder (much like the mutants in X-Men, but not nearly as widespread), most begin to test their powers (like in Unbreakable).

From the promos, it's obvious that not all of the characters with superpowers have been introduced yet after the second episode, and the true identity of the main antagonist, Sylar, will likely remain hidden for quite some time. The show is well-written, for the most part, if not for their blantant misunderstanding of the human brain. Also, if Nora Zehetner's character in the second episode doesn't seem like an obvious plant by the "other side" to gain the guy's trust, I don't know what does.

0 comments: