Monday, July 17, 2006

"Premium" ice cream

Ever since I saw the Good Eats episode on premium ice cream, I've been thinking about getting my own ice cream churning machine to test out the recipe. And see how "premium" differs from regular ice cream. (Although, as it turns out, I have had "premium" ice cream before--Häagen-Dazs is considered "super premium" ice cream.)

So, on Saturday, I set out to the nearby Target and Bed Bath & Beyond (they're in the same plaza, which makes it quite easy). The mission: To find an affordable, easy to use ice cream maker. And if I find one to my liking, I would also need some additional items that I did not possess, but which are required for the making of premium ice cream:
  1. Food thermometer
  2. Large container (to chill and freeze the ice cream in)
The result is mostly a success, although I tried to add green tea flavoring to it, and failed. Many tea bags and powdered green tea packs later, I still do not taste any green tea in the ice cream. So it's basically a premium vanilla ice cream, with (if you can taste any) an extremely faint hint of green tea.

I also found a pack for making green tea ice cream. Just add milk and egg yolk. But with only 3/4 cup of milk, the yield can't be much. Most likely not even a pint. $1.99 for the mix, still need your own milk and egg yolk, it'd have to taste like heaven for me to not just go back to buying ready-made half gallons of green tea ice cream.


On a side note, it looks like Blogger has increased the maximum allowable size for uploaded images. I'll have to try the full-size pic and see what they come out as (at this point, I'm guessing 1600 x 1200) next time.

0 comments: