Monday, August 21, 2006

Sticky chicken goodness

If you haven't already done so, go into your local El Pollo Loco restuarant and give their new "tequila lime" chicken a try. I've been eating these at least once a week for about six week now, at first just curious what "tequila lime chicken" would taste like, especially given that I haven't been too fond of tequila in the various mixed drinks I've had at home...

They basically either dip their regular flame-grilled chickens into their tequila sauce after the chickens are done, or pour sauce over them (I've seen them do both on different occasions). The sauce is at the same time sweet, sour, spicy, salty, and maybe a little bit bitter (since it's supposed to have some sort of tequila flavor).

When you eat it, beware: It will get messy. And you might get addicted. Betsy (my boss' niece, who I introduced the tequila lime chicken to when I first tried it) said that she could eat them everyday and not get sick of them. I think that might be a bit overboard, but it does somewhat remind me of a quote from So I Married an Axe Murderer regarding Col. Sanders (of KFC fame)...
Charlie: "Dad, how can you hate... 'The Colonel'?"
Stuart: "Because he puts an addictive chemical in his chicken that makes ya crave it fortnightly, smartass!"

0 comments: