Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Turn around, bright eyes

Once upon a time there was light in my life
Now there's only love in the dark
Nothing I can say
A total eclipse of the heart

Wednesday, February 20, 2008.

Total. Lunar. Eclipse.

And I actually watched it this time. The next total lunar eclipse won't happen again until 2010, although there will be another lunar eclipse later this year.

More photos I took of the event available here.


Edit: On a side note, while I was taking these pictures, one of my neighbors (or perhaps a neighbor's friend) walked by and inquired what I was doing. He then related to me that, as he works for the fire department, he has noticed that during the nights with full moon, they would often get more calls of people causing disturbances and whatnot... however, he had noticed that the night before, knowing that it would once again be a full moon, there weren't as many calls as he anticipated, and perhaps the eclipse was the reason.

People have often associated the phases of the moon with the madness, hence the word lunatic (luna = moon); I used to think such an association was more in the realm of urban legend, but hearing first-hand anecdotal evidence like this kind of takes away the "friend of a friend" requirement of urban legends.

0 comments: