Sunday, January 13, 2008

Jim Steinman/Meat Loaf

I was listening to Total Eclipse of the Heart (Bonnie Tyler) the other day, and decided to look up more info about it. Then I found out that it, along with Making Love (Out of Nothing At All) (Air Supply) were both written by Jim Steinman, who had given these songs to Meat Loaf, his long time collaborator, first.

Apparently, the two have had a troubled relationship, and when they reconciled in 1986, he gave the song It's All Coming Back to Me Now to Meat Loaf to use in his then new album, but they decided to use I'd Do Anything for Love (but I Won't Do That), instead, putting it on the backburner for another album further down the line in the future.

As most of us know, it became a hit for Celine Dion when she recorded it in 1996. And as you can see, Meat Loaf did eventually record his own version in 2006, as a duet with Marion Raven (formerly of M2M).

Since all of these songs have been made famous by other people, it may be kind of hard to imagine Meat Loaf singing them. But listening to I'd Do Anything for Love (but I Won't Do That), I get it--they're all power ballads, which Meat Loaf does pretty well. What exactly is "that" which he won't do? It's actually all there in the lyrics...

Total Eclipse of the Heart... do some parts of the video seem a bit too literal to you? It does to me.

Making Love (Out of Nothing At All) is lyrically similar in structure to I'd Do Anything for Love (but I Won't Do That); in Making Love, the singer lists the things he knows, or the things he can do, then follows them quickly by something he doesn't know or can't do ("I don't know how you do it, making love out of nothing at all"). Likewise, in Anything for Love, he lists the things he'd do, then follows them with things he won't do ("But I'll never forget the way you feel right now, no way")

0 comments: