Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Digital cable

I decided to look for a DVI to HDMI solution, to hook up my cable box through the HDMI port on my TV, and thereby freeing up a component video channel for my new DVD player (it has freeze problems with certain DVDs, but can play DivX-encoded videos on data discs).

Found a 6' long DVI/HDMI gold-plated cable for 5 bucks on MonoPrice, so I ordered it, along with a Toslink audio cable--since DVI doesn't transmit sound, and the Toslink input on my TV is right next to the HDMI, I was hoping that it would be "smart" enough to figure out that there was no sound coming into the HDMI, and would switch to the Toslink.



Unfortunately, it doesn't. So when I switch to the HDMI input, I get picture, but no sound. Which means the only way I get to keep using the DVI/HDMI is to hook up the sound to the receiver only. I had hoped that I could do both, that way I don't always have to turn the receiver on to watch TV.

I also had to turn off the box's 420i/p and 720p support, since it seems to take a long time to switch between resolutions for digital outputs, while the lag is much shorter through analog. Maybe they'll fix that in a firmware update... or at least, I hope they will.

0 comments: