Thursday, December 14, 2006

The itsy-bitsy spider

I found a spider in the shower earlier. Naturally, I killed it, and proceeded with my shower.

While I was showering, I remembered this so-called statistic I've heard about spiders several years back. Of course, I've never believed it to be true--from a logistics point of view, I just don't see how it could ever happen, and the bigger question being--how could the person (or persons) who came up with the statistic ever have tested it to arrive at those numbers?

You might have heard it before--"The average person will swallow 7 spiders in his/her lifetime"--is what I remember hearing on the radio.

The figures and timespan may differ from what you've heard, but you get the basic premise.

How often does a spider land on you? Rarely? Never? One's never landed on me while I'm awake, even if I remained completely motionless. Typically they'd do their best to stay away from me. Does everyone sleep with their mouths open?

Snopes says that this particular statistic (at 8 spiders per year) was made up to illustrate the kind of absurd things people are willing to believe. The Straight Dope also debunks this as an urban legend.

This also reminds me of a statistics joke--"97.3% of all statistics are made up." I remembered it as 80%, but that figure doesn't really matter in this context, does it? A Google search showed 97.3% as the most common number given. Although it did show me something else I like even better, which uses the 80% figure--"80% of all statistics quoted to prove a point are made up on the spot."

In short, it's like what I keep telling the people who keep mass forwarding various tidbits: Don't believe everything you read. Question your source, and your source's source. Think about the info you got--does it even make sense? Do some research before you send it off to everyone else in your address book. Don't make yourself into a liar and a fool.

0 comments: