Tuesday, August 23, 2005

AVC-encoded PSP videos

I just tried the new AVC encoding function for PSP Video 9. They've made some updates to it since when they first made the function available (and I tried back then, too--it didn't pass the muster for me--but it could only encode at one bitrate back then).

With the ability to choose the bitrate I want, or to use a variable bitrate, now the results are much better. I've been using Final Flight of the Osiris from The Animatrix as my test file, because I wanted something (1) with enough action, (2) is widescreen, (3) is a high-resolution source video, and (4) is not too long so that I can see the results without having to wait over an hour only to find out that the quality was not good enough, or the filesize was too big.

Using the following settings, I seem to be getting a fairly decent picture quality, while the filesize seems to be reasonable enough, although I will have to test with full length movies later to see how those turn out:

Video Mode: AVC > FQ-VBR
QScale: 25
Resolution: 368x208
Framerate: 29.97 fps
Passes: One
Keyframe Interval: 250
Aspect Ratio: 1:1

Audio Bitrate: 64 kbps
Channels: Stereo
Sample Rate: 48000 Hz

Now, if Sony Computer Entertainment America would be so good as to release the 2.00 firmware update for the PSP, I'll be all set.

0 comments: